Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Attack of the Werewolf

Last night, the weather outside was absolutely wonderful. With the boys in bed and DH out of town on business, I opened the windows and enjoyed the fresh air while I worked on the pirate psp cozy. I actually hate air conditioning, and if it were up to me, the windows would be open all the time. However, since we moved into the townhouse, it hasn't been easy to do just that. The windows in this place are quite long and come down to about 6 inches above the floor. With two year olds running around the house, it's just dangerous to have the windows open. Plus, DH loves air conditioning. If it were up to him, he'd turn the thermostat down to 64 degrees, which to me is downright insane. Plus, with Charlie being allergic to just about everything outdoors, it's better for the little guy to have filtered air running through the house.

So last night was a real treat for me. As I was getting ready to go to bed, I heard a strange noise outside. I looked out the window, and with a bright, round moon shining down on the backyard, I could clearly see that the tree just beyond our fence was shaking fiercely. As I watched and listened more closely, I heard the pitiful whimpering of a small animal and the loud growling of a predator as it ripped its prey to shreds. I was mortified. It's not like I live out in the countryside. I'm in a massive townhouse complex just off the intersection of two major roads. What wild animal could be lurking in the shadows of brick and concrete???

The only logical conclusion was that this was obviously a werewolf. It sure looked like a full moon outside.
And as soon as the werewolf was finished with his appetizer, it would be coming after its main course. I hurriedly rushed through the house and closed all the windows because the flimsy screen between me and the creature of the night was clearly no match for the werewolf's supernatural powers. But clearly, the glass windowpane would provide the necessary barrier. Then, I quickly made sure that all the doors were locked because I didn't know with 100% certainty whether or not werewolves were capable of opening doors. I switched on the alarm, turned off all the lights--didn't want to attract any more attention to myself--and crawled into bed. I strained my ears to listen for any more signs of the werewolf... And I'm not sure how long I laid there and listened to the night... But at some point, I fell asleep and woke up to the sounds of my boys calling for me to come get them.

This morning, in a ridiculous attempt to validate my perfectly rational conclusions from last night, I checked the internet to see if it had actually been a full moon last night. Unfortunately for me, it's a full moon tonight, but as this scientifically accurate image shows, it apparently doesn't need to be a full moon... I can say with certainty that my windows will remain closed tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment